Help Wanted: B&MRRHS Newsletter Editor
The Boston & Maine Railroad Historical Society seeks a qualified person to succeed Bob Warren as our B&MRRHS Newsletter editor. The transition will occur by the end of 2017. Bob will train and assist his successor during and after the transition.
- Oversee the production of six B&MRRHS Newsletters in each calendar year
- Acquire and accumulate copy and photos for inclusion in the Newsletter
- Solicit articles from knowledgeable persons
- Using desktop publishing software, assemble the master copy of the Newsletter
- Proofread the master copy
- Send the master copy to the printer by deadline date to enable mailing to members on time
The editor’s duties do not include mailing of the Newsletter.
- An interest in the Boston and Maine Railroad and New England railroad history
- An interest in current events in New England railroading
- Ability to organize paper and electronic documents and meet deadlines
- Familiarity with computer software and email
- A knowledge of English grammar, usage, and punctuation
- Ability to edit news stories and articles to fit available space.
- Ability to use desktop publishing software to produce an attractive publication
This is a volunteer position and a way to serve the Society in a vitally important area. You do not have to live in New England to qualify.
If you would like to be considered for the position of Newsletter Editor, please contact Rick Nowell, B&MRRHS President, by emailing him at email@example.com
Other Volunteer Opportunities
The best way to get the most enjoyment out of your B&MRRHS membership is to volunteer for one or more of our activities. You will join a friendly group of active members in advancing the work of the Society and, of course, will learn more about the Boston and Maine Railroad and railroading in New England.
The 410 Committee meets regularly in spring, summer and fall to continue our ongoing restoration of the B&M 0-6-0 steam switcher No. 410 and coach-baggage car combine No. 1244. Volunteers are needed to help with the work and no experience is required. We also need help to man the car on summer weekends when the combine is open to visitors. To volunteer, members should contact Jim Nigzus, P.O. Box 9116, Lowell, MA 01853.
The Archives Committee meets monthly to process, organize, and preserve our growing collection of photographs, records, timetables, and blueprints. No experience is required. To volunteer, members should contact Rick Nowell, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Hardware Committee is continuing its project of identifying, labeling, cataloging, and preserving our collection of railroad artifacts. No experience is required. To volunteer, members should contact Dan Hyde email@example.com.
The Shows Committee needs volunteers to man our tables at railroad shows and other events. The work involves transporting display and sales materials to and from the show, manning our tables, and helping with sales. No experience is required. To volunteer, members should contact Jim Nigzus, P.O. Box 9116, Lowell, MA 01853.