Mission and Activities
The Boston & Maine Railroad Historical Society, Inc. is a not-for-profit, 501(c) 3 organization composed of people who want to share their knowledge, and learn more about, the history and operations of the Boston and Maine Railroad, its predecessors, and successors.
Formed in 1971 by a group of interested B&M employees and railfans, the B&MRRHS now has 940 active members. The Society fulfills its educational mission in several ways:
- We publish the B&M Bulletin for our members, a glossy periodical that contains feature articles about all aspects of B&M equipment, locations, and service
- Every other month members also receive the B&MRRHS Newsletter, presenting railroad news, information about Society events, our popular “Modelers Notes,” and a sales catalog of B&M books, DVDs, clothing and souvenirs
- Volunteers for our 410 preservation project maintain B&M 0-6-0 steam locomotive No. 410 and combination coach-baggage car No. 1244 situated on Dutton Street in Lowell. Within the “combine,” manned by Society volunteers in the summer months, visitors can view an interpretive exhibit of B&M history including material from our Archives and interesting items from our Hardware Collection.
- Another group of volunteers maintains and preserves the Hardware Collection that includes signs, signals, tools, and railroad appliances—items that illustrate 175 years of New England Railroad history.
- Our Archives at 40 French St., Lowell, Mass., is a comprehensive collection of photographs, books, records, and information about the Boston and Maine Railroad and the railroads from which it was formed. It is available for research or general browsing. We also have started an on-line photo archive that lets us show off our photo collection to a wide audience.
- The Society meets monthly from September through May (no meetings, in June, July, or August). Members share railroad news and information and hear informative presentations by professional railroaders and railfans.
- Meetings are usually held at Rogers Hall, 196 Rogers St., Lowell, MA 01852. The regular starting time is 3:30 p.m.
Articles and photos are actively sought for our publications, as is the donation of money, archival material, artifacts, or volunteer time. We are a recognized non-profit educational organization, and all donations are tax-deductible. We look forward to welcoming you to the Society and hope that you will be an active member.